This work presents the results of studies of a physical basis of modulating effects of continuous exposure to electromagnetic radiation on intensity of geoacoustic processes in real geological media. The study is based on data from long-term borehole geoacoustic, electromagnetic, hydrogeochemical and hydrogeodynamic measurements performed in the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky geodynamic polygon. The authors have analyzed the physical reasons for the high correlation of the RMS signals of geoacoustic emission and external electromagnetic radiation at intervals of background seismicity and investigated the physical mechanism of the effect of degradation of geoacoustic emission response to the electromagnetic effects observed at the time of relatively close strong earthquakes.
Geoacoustic emission, electromagnetic radiation, borehole, modulating impact, hydrochemical research, strong earthquakes, Kamchatka region, monitoring, dilatancy, compressive stress
1. Alexeev, Concepts of multidisciplinary prediction of earthquakes using integral precursor, Problemy Dinamiki Litosfery i Seismichnosti. Vychislitelnaya Seismologia, no. 32, 2001.
2. Asada, Methods of Earthquakes Prediction. Their Use in Japan, 1984.
3. Barsukov, Importance of hydrogeochemical methods for short-term prediction of earthquakes, Gidrogeohimicheskie Predvestniki Zemletryasenij, 1985.
4. Bella, Hydrogeochemical anomalies in Kamchatka (Russia), Phys. Chem. Earth, 1998., doi: 10.1016/S0079-1946(98)00120-7
5. Belyakov, Magnetoelastic acoustic geophones for geophysical research, Seismicheskie Pribory, 2000.
6. Biagi, Hydrogeochemical precursors in Kamchatka (Russia) related to the strongest earthquakes in 1988--1997, Nat. Hazards, 2000., doi: 10.1023/A:1008178104003
7. Biagi, Groundwater chemical anomalies connected with the Kamchatka earthquake ($M=7.1$) on March 1992, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., 2006., doi: 10.5194/nhess-6-853-2006
8. Chelidze, Electromagnetic initiation of slip: laboratory model, Acta Geofizika Polonica, v. 52, no. 1, 2004.
9. Eccles, Laboratory studies of electrical potential during rock failure, International Journal of Rock Mechanics, v. 42, 2005., doi: 10.1016/j.ijrmms.2005.05.018
10. Finkel, Physical Basics of Deceleration of Destruction, 1977.
11. Fitterman, Theory of electrokinetic--magnetic anomalies in a faulted half-space, J. Geophys. Res., v. 84, 1979., doi: 10.1029/JB084iB11p06031
12. Gavrilov, Physical reasons of daily variations of level of geoacoustic emission, DAN, no. 3, 2007.
13. Gavrilov, Dynamics of micro-fracturing of geological media in relation to the catastrophic Simushir earthquakes in 2006--2007 according to data of complex borehole measurements in the Kamchatka peninsula, Tectonic Physics and Actual Problems of Earth Sciences. The 40th anniversary of establishment by M. V. Gzovsky of the tectonic physical laboratory in IPE RAS. Materials of the All-Russia Conference, 2009.
14. Gavrilov, Effect of modulation of level of geoacoustic emission by ultralow frequency radiation by results of measurements in different boreholes of the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky geodynamic polygon, Problems of Complex Geophysical Monitoring of the Russian Far East. Materials of the III Scientific Conference, 9--15 October 2011, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, 2011.
15. Gavrilov, Variations of level of geoacoustic emission in G-1 deep borehole (Kamchatka) and their relation to seismic activity, Vulkanologija i Seismologija, no. 1, 2006.
16. Gavrilov, Variations in geoacoustic emissions in a deep borehole and its correlation with seismicity, Ann. Geophys., v. 51, no. 5/6, 2008.
17. Gavrilov, Comparison of results of borehole geoacoustic measurements with laboratory data and full-scale experiments on electromagnetic influence on rocks, Fizika Zemli, no. 11, 2011.
18. Goldin, Destruction of lithosphere and physical mesomechanics, Fizicheskaya Mezomekhanika, no. 5, 2002.
19. Goldin, Dilatancy, repacking and earthquakes, Fizika Zemli, no. 10, 2004.
20. Khatkevich, Hydrogeochemical research in Kamchatka related to search of earthquakes' precursors, Vulkanologija i Seismologija, no. 4, 2006.
21. King, Antennas in Matters: Fundamentals, Theory and Applications, 1981.
22. Kissin, Fluids in the Earth crust: Geophysical and tectonic aspects, 2009.
23. Kopylova, Features of change of regime of sources and hydrogeological boreholes of the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky geodynamic polygon (Kamchatka) under the influence of earthquakes, Vulkanologija i Seismologija, no. 2, 1994.
24. Krasjuk, Electrodynamics and Radio Waves Propagation, 1974.
25. Nikolaevsky, Geomechanics and Fluid Dynamics, 1996., doi: 10.1007/978-94-015-8709-9
26. Nur, Dilatancy, pore fluids and premonitory variations of $t_s/t_p$ travel times, Bull. Seism. Soc. Amer., v. 62, no. 5, 1972.
27. Rastogi, Non-equilibrium thermodynamics of electro-kinetic phenomena, Chem. Rev., v. 93, no. 6, 1993., doi: 10.1021/cr00022a001
28. Report on results of drilling for search of thermal waters of Borehole~G-1, ``Khlebozavod'', Site of Petropavlovskaya Square in 1986--1988, 1988.
29. Riznichenko, Size of epicenter of crustal earthquake and seismic moment, Issledovaniya po Fizike Zemletryasenij, 1976.
30. Ryabinin, Hydrogeochemical effects, preceding strong earthquakes in Kamchatka. Identification algorithm and morphological analysis, Vestnik KRAUNTS. Nauki o Zemle, no. 1, 2009.
31. Ryabinin, Identification of earthquake precursors in the hydrogeochemical and geoacoustic data for the Kamchatka peninsula by flicker-noise spectroscopy, Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci., no. 11, 2011., doi: 10.5194/nhess-11-541-2011
32. Ryabinin, Cross-correlation earthquake precursors in the hydrogeochemical and geacoustic signals for the Kamchatka peninsula, Acta Geophysica, v. 60, no. 3, 2012., doi: 10.2478/s11600-012-0031-y
33. Sammonds, Role of pore fluids in the generation of seismic precursors to shear fracture, Nature, v. 359, 1992., doi: 10.1038/359228a0
34. Scholz, Earthquake prediction: A physical basis, Science, v. 181, no. 4102, 1973.
35. Sidorin, Precursors of Earthquakes, 1992.
36. Svetov, Problem of frequency dispersion of conductivity of diphase geological media, Fizika Zemli, no. 1, 2002.
37. Vlasov, Telemetric system of complex geophysical monitoring network, Seismicheskie Pribory, 2008.