This paper reviews in the light of modern knowledge some research results obtained by the outstanding Russian geologist, Professor of Kazan Imperial University N.nbsp;A.nbsp;Golovkinsky and described in his remarkable work "The Permian Formation of the Central Kama-Volga Basin". In this work he introduced, for the first time in the Russian geological literature, the facies concept and the strata accumulation model that was later rediscovered by other researchers to become the basis for sequence stratigraphy. The fundamentals of the facies law, known in the West as Walther's Law and in Russia as Golovkinsky-Walther's Law, were also described in Golovkinsky's work long before Walther drew his conclusions on this subject. The present paper shows that the fundamentals of sequence stratigraphy were first set forth in the work of N.nbsp;A.nbsp;Golovkinsky.
Permian, stratigraphy, sequence stratigraphy, N.nbsp;A.nbsp;Golovkinsky, facies, sea level variations, strata accumulation model, basic facies law, history of geology.
1. Dott, Eustasy: the Historical Ups and Downs of a Major Geological Concept, Geol. Soc. Am. Mem. vol. 180, edited by R. H. Jr. Dott, 1992.
2. Einsele, Sedimentary Basins, 2nd ed., 2000.
3. Fraizer, Bureau of Economic Geology, Geological Circular, 74-1, 1974.
4. Golovkinsky, Post-Tertiary Deposits on the Volga River and its Middle Reaches, 1865.
5. Golovkinsky, The Permian Formation of the Central Kama-Volga Basin, 1868.
6. Ross, Sedimentary Modeling: Computer Simulations and Methods for Improved Parameter Definition, Kans. Geol. Surv. Bull., vol. 233, edited by E. K. Franseen, W. L. Wathey, and C. G. St. C. Kendall, 1991.
7. Sloss, Geol. Soc. Am. Bull., v. 46, 1963.
8. Sloss, Sedimentary Facies in Geologic History, Geol. Soc. Am. Mem., vol. 39, edited by C. R. Longwell, 1949.
9. Sokratov, Proceedings of the Leningrad Mining Institute, v. XV--XVI, 1949.
10. Vail, Seismic Stratigraphy -- Applications to Hydrocarbon Exploration, Am. Assoc. Pet. Geol. Mem., 26, edited by C. E. Payton, 1977.
11. Walther, Beobachtungen uber die Bildung der Gesteine und ihrer organischen Einschlusse, vol. 1--3, 1893--1894: vol. 1 Bionomie des Meers, Beobachtunden und Existenzbedingugen, 1893, XXX, 196 S.; vol. 2, Die Lebensweise der Merres - Thiere, Beobachtungen Uber das Leben der Geologisch Wichtigen Thiere, S. 197-531; vol. 3, Lithigenesis der Gegenwart, Beobachtungen Uber die Bildung der Gesteine an der Heutigen Erdoberflache, 1894.
12. Wheeler, Am. Assoc. Pet. Geol. Bull, v. 42, 1958.