Various scenarios of earthquakes and the associated tsunami wave generation are numerically simulated. It is shown that, depending on the chosen dynamic source parameters in the central seismic gap zone of the Kurile-Kamchatka arc, the characteristics of tsunami waves in the water area of the Sea of Okhotsk and Kurile-Kamchatka zone can differ dramatically, from insignificant inundation of Sakhalin and Kamchatka coasts to a catastrophic run-up of waves up to 8 m in height. Detailed numerical constraints on the tsunami wave run-up are obtained for a number of points of the Sakhalin coastline, the form of the first waves climbing the coast is determined, and the run-up velocity characteristics are computed.
tsunami generation, submarine landslide, sedimentary mass, elasto-plastic model, shallow water equations.
1. Baranov, The structure of the Okhotsk Sea and the development of its sedimentary basins, 1997.
2. Burymskaya, Theoretical and Experimental Studies of Long Wavelength Processes, 1985.
3. Burymskaya, Theoretical and Experimental Studies of Long Wavelength Processes, 1985.
4. Fedotov, Seismic Regionalization of the USSR, Chapter 8, 1968.
5. Fedotov, Vulkanol. Seismol., v. 6, 2002.
6. Golubtsova, Oscillations and Waves in Continuum Mechanics, 1989.
7. Goto, Numerical Method of Tsunami Simulation with the leap-frog scheme, (IUGG/IOC Time Project), IOC Manual, no. 35, 1997.
8. Ikonnikova, Atlas of Tsunami, 1963.
9. Laverov, Basic Investigations of Oceans and Seas, vol. 1, 2006.
10. Laverov, Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk, v. 408, 2006.
11. Levin, Methods for Calculating the Tsunami Generation and Propagation, 1978.
12. Lobkovsky, Geodynamics of Spreading and Subduction Zones and Two-Level Plate Tectonics, 1988.
13. Lobkovsky, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, v. 275, no. 4, 1984.
14. Lobkovsky, Current Problems of Geotectonics and Geodynamics, 2004.
15. Lobkovsky, Dokl. Ross. Akad. Nauk, v. 410, 2006.
16. Marchuk, Numerical Simulation of Tsunami Waves, 1983.
17. Mazova, Natural Hazards, v. 20, 1999.
18. Mazova, Okeanologiya, v. 23, no. 6, 1983.
19. Pelinovsky, Nonlinear Dynamics of Tsunami Waves, 1982.
20. Pelinovsky, Preliminary Scheme of the Tsunami zonation along the Kurile-Kamchatka Coastlines from One-Dimensional Calculations with a Model Source, Preprint no. 5, 1980.
21. Pelinovsky, Natural Hazards, v. 6, 1992.
22. Shchetnikov, Tsunami along Coastlines of the Sakhalin and Kurile Islands from Mareographic Data of 1952--1968, 1990.
23. Solovyev, Tsunami Problems, 1968.
24. Solovyev, Atlas of Maximum Tsunami Run-ups, 1978.
25. Solovyev, Okeanologiya, v. 21, no. 1, 1981.
26. Solovyev, Theoretical and Experimental Studies of the Tsunami Problem, 1977.
27. Vasilyev, Theoretical and Experimental Studies of Long Wavelength Processes, 1985.
28. Voltsinger, Long-wavelength dynamics of coastal zone, 1989.